Monday, December 6, 2010

Zora and Me by Victoria Bond and T. R. Simon

Zora and MeZora and Me by Victoria Bond

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This was a book I really wanted to like, but I feel like it is one of those books adults like and therefore want kids to like. It reads more like a coming of age novel written for adult. I had trouble feeling much for any of the characters. Carrie's adult voice acted as a barrier to letting Carrie, Teddy and Nora act and be real children. As one of the othe reviewers said, I would have liked more description---to get a better feel for the time and place. I think the language used by the authors did reflect the times and region, but the "n" word is so powerful and fraught with meaning in today's society it was disturbing to me to have it used so casually in a children's book. I did stay with the book to find out what happened, but overall I was disappointed with the book.



View all my reviews

No comments: